Escorted Tour, ** new dates 24 sep to 19 oct 2021 ** (land only)
Your tour highlights
- 12th and 13th century Rock Churches of Lalibela
- Yemrehanna Kristos – best preserved Axumite cave church
- Gelada Baboons, Simien Mountains NP and Giant Lobelias
- Royal Castles of Gondar
- Rural village life and the chaos and beauty of Africa’s largest markets
- Ethnological Museum of Addis Ababa
- Lake Tana – source of the Blue Nile
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including Debre Berhan Selassie Church
- Unique landscapes and eco-systems of Bale Mountains National Park
- Ethnic immersion into Dorze and Konso tribal life
Ethiopia, a beautiful country enriched with an intriguing history, extraordinary wildlife and some of Africa’s most soulful people.
Join Sue Verrall and travel to one of the world’s oldest civilisations, where the calendar pre-dates the Gregorian and 88 languages give rise to over 200 dialects! English is widely spoken and is the medium of secondary schooling with Amharic, Oromo and Tigrinya being the form for primary schools. Walk with the Gelada baboons high above the spectacular plugs and chasms of the Simien Mountains, while in the vast high-altitude moors of the southern Bale Mountains, known for centuries as Middle Earth, search for the Mountain Nyala and the Simien Fox.
Visit the tiny city of Lalibela located in the heart of the highlands and explore ancient 12th century rock churches; walk through the royal castles of Gondar and travel through diverse agricultural areas, the foundation of Ethiopia’s economy. Experience the fringe of the Danakil Desert, from your secluded bush lodge in the Afar region where birdlife is abundant, and is especially prolific in the drier southern areas, where you’ll visit some of the lesser known people – the tribes of Mursi, Karo and Konso.
A varied destination offering photogenic wildlife and landscapes that set the country apart from the rest of Africa, Ethiopia is also considered the birthplace of coffee, its richness of culture reflected in every cup!
- Tour escort ex Addis Ababa
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- All transport
- 25 nights’ accommodation
- All sightseeing tours in all locations
- Accompanying and local guide, scouts, elders and village visit fees
- All entrance fees
- Bottled water and Snacks
- Domestic flights within Ethiopia
- International flights ex New Zealand
- Alcoholic beverages
- Laundry services
- Telephone expenses
- Any applicable visas
- Compulsory travel insurance
- Items of a personal nature
Single Supplement: for those travellers wanting their own room, the tour price is from $17,995pp. This is a “Land Only” price – Should you wish to combine Africa with Europe or extend elsewhere in Africa, e.g. to see the Mountain Gorillas, please talk to us. A Christchurch to Addis Ababa return economy class airfare is approx. $2,700-$3,000 per person.