Timeless Turkey, 18-day Escorted Tour,
09 September – 27 September 2020
Solo Travellers only
Minimum of 11 passengers required, maximum of 15.
With one foot in Asia and the other in Europe, Turkey holds a unique place in history. From Achilles to Alexander the Great, empires have founded and fallen here leaving a complex and fascinating trail through time.
The city of Istanbul showcases its cultural heritage alongside an increasing number of trendy eateries and cutting-edge bastions of ‘cool’. Historic monuments, testament to its opulent past, remain Istanbul’s largest attractions, but the element of surprise lies in just how European this city feels.
Witness the ravages of religious and political history at the ruins of Ephesus and the poignant memories of the Anzacs’ presence at Gallipoli. Fabled stories help to bring to life in your imagination the mythological battle between Greek and Trojan heroes, who fought for the honour of Helen of Sparta, in the legendary city of Troy.
Wander the narrow, weather-worn streets of ancient Karmylassos, now known as the ghost town of Kayaköy. Nestled in the Taurus mountains stands a modern ruin – thousands of abandoned stone houses and structures, lost in time. Surreal and eerie, this deserted village now forms a memorial to Turkish-Greek peace initiatives.
Spend a day on the water around the Teke peninsula and Turquoise Coast from your base in Kas. Protected inlets and picturesque bays are ideal for underwater pursuits. Enjoy the mellow atmosphere on board a boat cruise hosted by locals, share in their love of the sea and of food!
The unique landscapes of Pamukkale and Cappadocia are two extraordinary natural wonders. Pamukkale’s terraces cascading with warm, mineral-rich water, were once the treasured healing baths of Hierapolis, while the lunarscape of Cappadocia, with its underground cities, cave churches and houses, makes you feel like you have left Earth and descended on another planet! Step inside an incredible troglodyte city located more than 60 metres underground, where a maze of passages and tunnels leads to rooms where people once worked and worshipped.
Be mesmerised by the mystical Sufism practice of ‘whirling’ – a ceremonial ritual of spirituality. Dine on delicious Mediterranean cuisine in local restaurants and shop in the ateliers for intricately decorated Turkish pottery – this tour of Turkey captures timeless Ottoman, Greek and western influence in both its history and cuisine.
With the warmth of its people and breath-taking landscape – Turkey is back!
- Visit the opulent Topkapi Palace Museum, exquisite Blue Mosque and world-renowned Grand Bazaar
- Gallipoli – historic sites of Anzac Cove, Lone Pine Cemetery and Chunuk Bair
- Archealogical guided site visit to Troy
- Wine-tasting in Sirince
- Explore the 2,000 year old colonnaded streets of Ephesus
- Experience first-hand Turkish rug weaving
- Visit the white travertine terraces of Pamukkale and Roman health spa of Hierapolis
- Wander through the ghost village of Kayaköy
- Boat trip excursion along southern Turkey’s ‘Lycian’ coast
- Cappadocia’s “fairy chimneys” and clustered rock formations of Göreme
- Archealogical Museum of Antalya
- Delve through the underground city of Derinkuyu
- Bosphorus dinner cruise
- Economy class return airfares from Christchurch
- 3-4 star hotels in single-occupancy rooms
- All transfers in private vehicle transport
- Meals: 15 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 14 dinners
- Entrance fees to included sights
- Sightseeing and excursions as per itinerary
- Gratuities/tipping for leaders, guide and driver
- English-speaking tour leader throughout
- Tour escort