With a Trans-Tasman bubble announcement on the horizon we thought it would be useful to highlight what is and isn’t covered, so with the provision that our Govt’s MFAT warning for Travel is lifted from the current ‘do not travel’ alert when the Bubble is announced, then the following will apply:
What customers can get cover for:
• Provision for Cancellation costs if you get sick with COVID-19 before you go away
• Provision for Costs to return home if a relative gets sick with COVID-19
• Provision for costs if you get sick with COVID-19 and must quarantine when in destination
• Reasonable accommodation costs if the person you were supposed to stay with gets COVID-19
• If you are an essential health worker and your leave is revoked due to COVID-19 you can claim the non-refundable costs
• Cancellation costs for denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at the airport – you and your travelling companion can claim the non-refundable, prepaid cancellation costs provided that a public health authority directed you and you did not have knowledge or awareness of your positive test result at the time of your policy purchase
• Cancellation due to being a close contact with someone with COVID-19 – Cancellation or amendment costs for a prepaid trip subject to the cancellation benefit limit on the policy if they have been directed to quarantine by a public health authority because they deemed to have had close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 and can’t go on their trip
What you won’t be covered for:
• Cancellations to travel caused by government-imposed lockdowns.
o Eg Auckland goes into Level 3 & all international travel is cancelled.
o Eg Queensland goes into lockdown – any additional expenses incurred are at your own cost.
• Costs to get a Covid-19 test if required prior to travel
• Costs if the government imposes a blanket quarantine
• Border closures due to COVID-19
The full policy wording for international travel is here HOTNZ PW.2.V4