In news that’s been long awaited by long haul travellers in Christchurch, Singapore Airlines have today announced they will be flying their A350 aircraft to Christchurch from 07 January 2019. The A350 will replace the current Boeing 777-200ER which operates flights Christchurch to Singapore (SQ298) and Singapore to Christchurch (SQ297) daily.
Deployment of the A350-900 will allow customers the opportunity to experience Singapore Airlines’ Next Generation Business and Economy class seats as well as introduce a Premium Economy Class all year round to Christchurch for the first time.
From 08 January 2019, customers will be able to enjoy Premium Economy Class year-round from New Zealand’s South Island to destinations such as Paris, London, New Delhi, Johannesburg, Dubai, Barcelona, Hong Kong and more.
Ian enjoyed a sneak preview of the new premium economy and business class seats at Christchurch Airport in October 2018. Have a look at the photos below.
Premium Economy Class
• Provides extra comfort, choices, and privileges for passengers
• It all starts with priority handling and boarding
• Exclusive 2-4-2 cabin
• Seats designed with greater width up to 19.5 inches including a calf-rest and footrest for extra comfort
• The seat reclines up to eight inches with a 38-inch seat pitch, perfectly designed for snoozing in.
• A video touchscreen handset and 13.3 inch HD enabled touch screen monitor, the biggest in its class, allows passengers to fully immerse themselves into KrisWorld, along with the addition of noise cancelling headphones.
• Enjoy all this while tasting Champagne served onboard throughout the flight.
• Re-designed to allow a greater range of sleeping and seating positions
• The 28-inch wide seat converts into a 78-inch fully-flat bed
• Seat features a cushioned headboard for greater sleeping comfort
• Stowage has been redesigned and includes a side console located above the armrest which allows laptop storage in both seat and bed mode
• Entertainment had been redesigned, with each seat boasting an 18-inch HD enabled personal LCD screen with noise-cancelling headphones and a video touchscreen handset.
• The new Economy Class provides more legroom and personal space alongside a new backrest cushion with bolstered sides and a 4-way adjustable sculpture headrest provides neck support and comfort to rest peacefully.
• One of the stand out new features is the upgrade to an 11.1-inch wide touch-screen monitor and video touch-screen handset to view the 1,000 entertainment options throughout the journey.
The Companion App
Exclusively available onboard the Singapore Airlines A350 – the Companion App enables customers to review the In-flight Entertainment (IFE) video and audio content that will be available on their flight, create pre-selected favourites lists, and control the seat-back IFE system – all using their personal electronic devices.