Renaissance, romance and ravishing cuisine, from Rome to Venice
The enduring phrase ‘la dolce vita’ – or the good life – truly captures the essence of Italy. Spend 14 days discovering the heart of all things Italian on a culturally rich adventure from the piazzas of Rome to the canals of Venice. Tour the Tuscan countryside on a leisurely cycle along Lucca’s Serchio River, peer into Pisa and marvel at its Leaning Tower, take to the trails of the Cinque Terre for some stunning coastal views, and walk the Portofino Peninsula to be one with its glamourous residents. With time spent wine tasting in rural villages, ferry catching along Lake Como and relaxing among the vibrant centres of Milan and Venice, you’ll soon understand why Italy remains in the hearts of all who visit.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Take to the Tuscan countryside and cycle along the Serchio River in Lucca, working up an appetite for the region’s delicious local food and renowned wines.
- Spend a free day exploring the beautiful villages, estates and gardens dotted around Lake Como, criss-crossing the lake by ferry, and consider exploring the grounds of Bellagio’s grand Villa Melzi.
- Head with your local leader to a quaint rural village in the heart of Piedmonte to sample world-class local wines from unique grapes grown only in this region – saluti!
- Test yourself on the hilly trails of the Cinque Terre, stopping by the picturesque pastel colour villages of Manarola, Riomaggiore and Vernazza. If you get tired, just jump on the train for the rest of your day!
- Italy’s iconic Rome, Florence and Venice are a haven of renaissance architecture and historic sights. With plenty of time to discover at your own pace, you have the power to decide what you’d like to see.
Day 1: Rome
Day 2: Rome / Florence
Day 3: Florence
Day 4: Florence / Lucca
Day 5: Pisa / Lucca
Day 6: La Spezia
Day 7: Cinque Terre / La Spezia
Day 8: Portofino Peninsula / Asti
Day 9: Asti
Day 10: Milan / Lake Como
Day 11: Lake Como
Day 12: Venice
Day 13: Venice
Day 14: Venice
Train, Private vehicle, Bicycle, Boat, Public bus, Metro
Hotel (13 nights)
- Lucca – Bicycle Tour
- Pisa – Half Day Trip to Pisa
- Cinque Terre – Day Trip, including Cinque Terre Pass
- Portofino Peninsula – Walk and Boat Ride
- Asti – Village Winery Visit & Wine Tasting
- Milan – Duomo Rooftop Visit
- Milan – Half Day Trip
- Lake Como – Ferry Pass
- Venice – Traghetto Boat Ride
- Venice – Orient Experience Snack Stop
Images courtesy of Intrepid Group