A remote African island paradise bursting with biodiversity
Join the few lucky souls who have ever visited Comoros, a small archipelagic country off Africa’s east coast. On this 9-day wildlife expedition, split your time between two islands and encounter the many sea and land critters that call these islands home, including green sea turtles, Livingstone bats, humpback whales, lemurs, sharks, tropical fish, manta rays and more. Learn from local guides, wildlife experts and national park eco-guards who reveal insights into ongoing conservation efforts and how island communities and their visitors play a role in protecting these fragile ecosystems. Along the way, you’ll meet Comorians eager to share the vibrancy of these remote islands, leaving you to wonder why it took you so long to discover this hidden gem.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Explore the Mwali UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, home to the second highest marine diversity in the world. Spot humpback whales and spinner dolphins; snorkel among vibrant coral reefs, parrot fish, manta rays, wrasses, fusiliers, reef sharks and maybe even dugongs.
- Take a short a hiking experience in the subtropical tropical rain forest to observe one of the world’s largest bats, the critically endangered Livingstone flying fox.
- Stay in community operated beachside bungalows in Itsamia, visit one of the largest Green turtle nesting sites of the world where Turtles nest year-round and learn from various local wildlife experts about ongoing conservation efforts.
- Enjoy a seafood lunch served in a giant clam shell at Miki’s Place, cooked for you by Miki himself, a colourful local Rastafarian, in his lean-to “restaurant” under a baobab next to the sea.
- Walk among homesteads, meeting villagers with beautiful welcoming smiles, and stroll through the surrounding gardens to see how local foods are produced.
Day 1: Moroni
Karibu! Welcome to Comoros! On arrival at Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport, you will be met by an Intrepid representative and transferred to your hotel, ready for your adventure to begin at 6pm with an important welcome meeting. Then perhaps enjoy dinner in the oasis of the hotel grounds and learn more about this fascinating country from your local leader.
A complimentary shared group transfer is included if you’re arriving today.
Please provide your flight details at the time of booking, or at a minimum 14 days prior to travel.
Day 2: Moheli
Day 3: Moheli
Early this evening sit down with a National Park Ranger and learn about the local biodiversity and ongoing conservation efforts.
Day 4: Moheli
Day 5: Moheli
Day 6: Itsamia
Today you’re off to the other side of Moheli to the village of Itsamia, a major sea turtle traffic hub! First up, learn about the village, its history, its turtles and how it all connects at a presentation by one of the national park’s eco-guards. Every year more than 20,000 green turtles nest on these beaches, making this stretch of sand one of the highest density nesting sites in the world. There are nesting turtles on this beach almost every night.
This afternoon, explore the village of Itsamia on a village walk and then hit the beach to spot turtle nests, where you might witness up to 100 baby turtles emerging from the sand and scurrying down to the water. After dinner, head back to the beach to try to catch a glimpse of momma turtles arriving back on the beach, lugging their 150-kg bodies up the sand in search of the perfect spot to nest and rest.
As for you, you’ll rest up in simple beachside bungalows built and operated by the local community as an economic development project. A volunteer from the community will be preparing dinner for you as well.
Day 7: Moroni
Day 8: Moroni
Day 9: Moroni
Your trip comes to an end today and there are no activities planned.
A complimentary shared transfer is included and departs the hotel around 1pm.
If you require a transfer at a different time this can be pre-booked prior to departure. Please speak to your booking agent to arrange this.
INT – YCSO
Images Courtesy of Intrepid Group