Fall in love with provincial Italy on this cycling adventure through Tuscany.
Encounter the picturesque hills and olive groves of Tuscany on this cycling adventure from Florence to Pisa. Be rewarded after a day of pedaling through quaint villages with inspiring mountain views in Barga. Explore the frenetic streets of Pisa before laying eyes on a certain lopsided tower. Visit one of the oldest bakeries in Italy for a taste of their delicious biscotti. Enjoy stunning views of Garfagnana, Tuscany’s mountainous escape.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Pedal through the rolling green hills, vineyards and olive groves of Tuscany on this classic journey from Florence to Pisa
- From Lucca’s tree-lined city walls, follow the gentle Serchio River to the world-famous Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Retrace the steps of Leonardo da Vinci around his home city, Vinci
- Sample the local Tuscan delicacies and a glass (or two!) of vino after a rewarding day in the saddle
- Sit and watch the world go by with a cappuccino at Piazza dell’Anfiteatro
- Get away from tourist crowds and experience the ‘real Italy’ in Garfagnana
Day 1: Florence
Day 2: Cycle Signa to Vinci
Day 3: Cycle Lucca to Barga
Day 4: Cycle in the Garfagnana
Day 5: Cycle the Apuan Alps to Lucca
Mount up and ride the short distance to the top of the mountain range before starting the long and winding ride downhill to the popular seaside resort of Viareggio. From here head along the flat seafront roads and on to the famous Tuscan walled city of Lucca. On arrival in Lucca, circle the ancient city ramparts by bike and stop to enjoy an afternoon picnic on the walls.
You’ll ride a total of approximately 85 kilometres today. Afterwards, enjoy an evening to explore the city. Perhaps end the day at a local bar with a refreshing Prosecco.
Day 6: Free day in Lucca
Day 7: Cycle Lucca to Pisa
Day 8: Pisa
7 breakfasts, 2 lunches
Bicycle (e-bike option available, subject to availability), Support Vehicle, local bus
Hotel (7 nights)
- Signa to Vinci Guided & Vehicle Supported Cycling
- Lucca to Barga Guided & Vehicle Supported Cycling
- Devil’s Bridge visit
- Garfagnana – Picnic
- Barga to Garfagnana Guided & Vehicle Supported Cycling
- Lucca – Picnic
- Garfagnana to Lucca Guided & Vehicle Supported Cycling
- Lucca to Pisa Guided & Vehicle Supported Cycling
Images courtesy of Intrepid Group
INT – ZMXT