Move on to greener pastures full of geothermal springs, glaciers and geysers
Travel to Iceland and delve into the ancient tales of Vikings and volcanoes on this eight-day adventure to its heartlands. Marvel at geothermal hot springs, witness the steamy eruptions of a giant geyser, touch the tongue of Europe’s biggest glacier at Vatnajokull and cruise the Jokulsarlong Glacial Lagoon, see lava that’s still warm after decades and witness the giant Skogafoss and Detifoss waterfalls in all their splendour. Travel through Iceland’s isolated corners and the land of the famous Blue Lagoon – so mysterious and ethereal that they have inspired artists, poets and musicians for centuries. Plus, with a local leader on hand to answer any questions and get you from place to place, you’ll be cruising around this icy isle in no time.
Why you’ll love this trip
- There’s a lot more to Iceland than ice (and Bjork). Ford the fjords, glaciers, volcanoes and black sand beaches, and consider adding on a visit to the renowned Blue Lagoon for a soak in the geothermal springs.
- Spend the evening at the quirky farm town of Modrudalur – an isolated settlement and the highest inhabited place in Iceland and enjoy a home-cooked dinner at our guesthouse at Snaefellsnes.
- Walk to the mottled blue, grey and black tongue of Vatnajokull glacier – an ice cap so large it covers eight per cent of the country – and discover the incredible Skogafoss Waterfall.
- Glide past blue-white icebergs on an included boat tour of Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon and soak up the silence of the surrounding grey sand desert..
- Experience the unearthly scenery at Namaskard, where steam rises from the sulphuric terrain and take a walk around the lava stacks and caves of Dimmuborgir.
Day 1: Reykjavik
Day 2: Golden Circle / Hvolsvollur Valley
Day 3: South Coast / Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon
Day 4: East Fjords / Modrudalur Valley
Day 5: Lake Myvatn / Akureyri
Day 6: Akureyri / Snaefellsnes Peninsula
Day 7: Snaefellsnes Peninsula / Reykjavik
Day 8: Reykjavik
Images courtesy of Intrepid Group