Embark on an authentic Indonesian orangutan expedition
Go in search of the gentle giants of the Borneo jungles – the elusive orangutan – on a 12-day wildlife expedition. Kalimantan, the Indonesian portion of Borneo, is teeming with jungles to explore, cultures to learn, and welcoming people to have a laugh with – and your wildlife expedition will be so much more than that. Staying in comfortable eco-lodging and a traditional longhouse in the heart of the jungle, go out in search of orangutans and learn about how the local communities’ conservation efforts have ensured that these creatures, along with other endemic wildlife, continue to thrive in this slice of jungle paradise. Share in the wonder of an untouched Borneo before others find out about it, with a unique opportunity to spot orangutans in their natural habitat.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Travel aboard a traditional klotok boat, traversing the winding rivers in Tanjung Puting National Park in search of local and endemic wildlife, including the elusive orangutan.
- Learn about the organisation working to rescue, rehabilitate and release these critically endangered animals at the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOSF).
- Appreciate a truly local experience in Tumbang Malahoi village with a stay in a longhouse. Receive a welcoming blessing ceremony and enjoy a night of eating and dancing with local families.
- Head out on a canoe safari in Sebangau National Park, searching for orangutans, proboscis monkeys, macaques, monitor lizards, hornbills, kingfishers, and – if you’re lucky – clouded leopards!
- Discover Indonesia’s central metropolis in Jakarta and the up-and-coming city of Palangka Raya, with plenty of free time in both to explore at your own pace.
Day 1: Jakarta
Day 2: Jakarta – Tanjung Puting NP
Day 3: Tanjung Puting NP
Day 4: Tanjung Puting NP
Day 5: Tanjung Puting NP – Sampit
Day 6: Sempit – Palangka Raya
Day 7: Sebangau NP
Day 8: Tumbang Malahoi Longhouse
Day 9: Tumbang Malahoi Longhouse – Palangka Raya
Day 10: Palangka Raya
Day 11: Jakarta
Day 12: Jakarta
INT – TISW
Images Courtesy of Intrepid Group