- 14 boat trips to maximise chances of Jaguar sightings
- Lead by Photographer Paul Goldstein
- Exploration of one of the world’s great wildlife regions
- Fantastic wetland bird-watching
- Good chances of seeing capybaras, Giant anteaters, Jabiru storks and other wildlife
The trip starts in Cuiabá today as we transfer to Araras Lodge. Surrounded by pristine forest, the lodge offers a range of activities designed to showcase the flora and fauna of the Pantanal, including jeep safaris, trail walks, nocturnal safaris, canoeing and horse riding. The lodge’s expert bilingual naturalist guides accompany us on our excursions to truly enhance our wildlife viewing.
Today we drive further along the Transpantanera road to Porto Jofre, with a very early start, situated deep in the heart of the Pantanal along the Cuiabá River. Along the way, we cross numerous watercourses and it can be quite bumpy. Common sightings include caiman, capybara, deer, rheas and a huge variety of birds including the huge Jabiru stork, macaws, egrets and spoonbills. After a very early breakfast we will get straight out onto the river having packed some extra snacks from the buffet as there is no knowing when we will come back. Sightings of these magnificent cats are relatively common in this area (a high percentage of visitors staying longer than three days see at least one during their stay), but there are no guarantees when it comes to wildlife, and even if we don’t spot them we will encounter a huge array of animals and birds.
Days 3 – 8
The next six days are spent in boats looking for jaguar and learning more about the delicate ecosystem of the Pantanal. The vessels’ seating plan means that no‐one will experience the problem of being stuck in a middle seat when out on the river, so expect uninterrupted views and the best possibilities for wildlife observation and photography! Although we will have a boat safari each morning and afternoon, the exact length of each boat trip will be determined by the animals seen, and if jaguar are spotted our timetable may well go out of the window as we track them and observe their behaviour, so be prepared to be flexible and to spend longer than planned on the water. October is thankfully not as busy as the previous two months on the water.
This morning we have a boat safari before returning for lunch and to pack then return along the Transpantaneira to the Araras Eco Lodge.
After an early morning wildlife spotting activity and breakfast, we return to Cuiabá airport. Those on the group flight travel home to London today. Land only clients are free to make their own arrangements from Cuiabá airport this afternoon.
- 2 nights Araras Eco Lodge, 7 nights Hotel Porto Jofre, all en suite
- 9 breakfasts, 8 lunches and 9 dinners included
- Travel by minibus, 4WD safari vehicle and motorised canoe
- Countries visited: Brazil
- All breakfasts, 8 lunches, 9 dinners
- All accommodation (see below)
- All transport and listed activities
- Tour leader throughout
- Flights from London (if booking incl. flights)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Travel insurance
- Single accommodation (available on request)
- Visas or vaccinations
EXT – WAH
Images courtesy of Exodus Travel