See Machu Picchu from all angles on a high-flying Peruvian adventure
The wonders of Peru and Bolivia await as you walk beneath the Amazon Jungle’s lush canopy, trek the llama-filled plains of the Sacred Valley and stroll the cobblestone streets of Cusco on this 15-day journey from Lima to La Paz. Search for monkeys and medicinal plants in the Amazon, tackle the ancient road to Machu Picchu, experience a homestay in a traditional community on the shore of serene Lake Titicaca and finish in La Paz, where indigenous communities continue to form much of the city’s cultural fabric. With the option to see Machu Picchu by trek or by train, plus the expert knowledge of local leaders at all stages of your adventure, the Sacred Land of the Incas will no doubt leave you breathless – in more ways than one.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Choose you own adventure on your way to the mother of all Inca cities – magical Machu Picchu. Test yourself on the challenging Classic Inca or Inca Quarry trails, or take the train for a more leisurely experience.
- Marvel at the evergreen splendour of the untouched Amazon. Explore rainforest trails with a local guide, looking out for wildlife and medicinal plants, and stay in a tranquil jungle lodge overnight.
- Head on a guided stroll through charming Cusco with your local leader, where Inca temples and Spanish cathedrals line the cobblestone streets – Peru’s true cultural and historic centre.
- Sleep in a mud-brick hut on the shore of vast, ancient Lake Titicaca during a homestay in a traditional Andean community, and visit the floating reed islands of Uros with your small group.
- Finish up in the eclectic and hectic La Paz, where indigenous Aymara or Quechua traditions are flourishing in contemporary Bolivia – a living example of the resilient traditional communities of South America.
Day 1: Lima
Day 2: Amazon Jungle
Day 3: Amazon Jungle
Day 4: Cusco
Day 5: Sacred Valley / Ollantaytambo
Day 6: Inca Trail / Inca Quarry Trail / Train
Day 7: Inca Trail / Inca Quarry Trail / Train
Day 8: Inca Trail / Inca Quarry Trail / Train
Day 9: Inca Trail / Inca Quarry Trail / Train (Machu Picchu)
Day 10: Cusco
Day 11: Puno
Day 12: Lake Titicaca Homestay
Day 13: Puno
Day 14: La Paz
Day 15: La Paz
14 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 6 dinners
Boat, Bus, Canoe, Plane, Private minibus, Private vehicle
Camping (with basic facilities) (3 nights), Homestay (1 night), Hotel (8 nights), Jungle Lodge (2 nights)
- Lima – Leader-led walking tour
- Amazon Jungle – Jungle activities
- Cusco – Leader-led orientation walk
- Cusco – Chocolate Museum Visit & Hot Chocolate
- Sacred Valley – Community visit & lunch
- Cusco – 3 Night/4 Day Inca Trail (or 2 Night/3 Day Inca Quarry Trail)
- Machu Picchu – Entrance and guided tour
- Lake Titicaca – Boat tour & Homestay
Images Courtesy of Intrepid Group