Live the high life on a high-altitude adventure from Beijing to Kathmandu through Tibet.
Take part in an epic 5000-kilometre overland journey from imperial Beijing, through the mighty mountains and monasteries of Tibet, and finishing in Nepal’s compact capital of Kathmandu. There’s temples aplenty to explore, mountain passes and rugged landscapes to drive past, and, oh, did we mention standing in the shadow of Mt Everest? Experience one of the world’s greatest train journeys, get to know the highland haven of Lhasa and discover the world’s highest monastery in the foothills of Qomolangma. Respecting Buddhist cultures past and present, this insightful journey to the literal Roof of the World has never been so easy, yet still so incredibly fascinating.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on a grand scale – see it first-hand, with time to explore and walk the epic Great Wall’s Mutianyu section.
- Sit back and relax on one of the world’s greatest train journeys – a marathon 45-hour journey to the literal Roof of the World, passing by incredibly mountainous and remote terrain, and the occasional grazing yak!
- Get to know Lhasa, from the incredible atmosphere of the pilgrim-filled Jokhang Temple – the most sacred in the Tibetan Buddhist world – to a traditional momo making class, you’ll get a real taste for this place.
- Climb phenomenal mountain passes, twist up thrilling peaks, and take in incredible views of skies and lakes on your overland journey, standing in the shadow of the mightiest of them all – Mt Everest – and visiting the world’s highest monastery on your way!
- Relax in the lovely Thankot after an epic journey in Tibet and enjoy a short hike to Indradaha, with a view snow peaks of Langtang, Ganesha and Manaslu.
Day 1: Beijing
Day 2: Great Wall – Train to the Roof of the World
Day 3: Train to the Roof of the World
Day 4: Lhasa (3656m)
Day 5: Lhasa (3656m)
Day 6: Lhasa (3656m)
Day 7: Gyantse (4025m)
Day 8: Shigatse (3890m)
Day 9: Shigatse (3890m)
Day 10: Sakya (4310m)
Day 11: Everest National Park (5200m)
Day 12: Kyirong (2800m)
Day 13: Thankot
Day 14: Kathmandu
Day 15: Kathmandu
Overnight sleeper train, Private Bus, Public bus
Hotel (11 nights), Overnight Hard Sleeper Train (2 nights), Permanent Tented Camp/Guesthouse (1 night)
- Beijing – Mutianyu Great Wall
- Lhasa – Sera Monastery & Monk Debating
- Lhasa – Tibetan cooking class
- Lhasa – Potala Palace
- Lhasa – Jokhang Temple
- Gyantse – Yamdrok Lake
- Gyantse – Tibetan family visit & lunch
- Gyantse – Pelkor Chode Monastery
- Gyantse – Kumbum
- Shigatse – Tashilhunpo Monastery
- Sakya – Sakya Monastery
- Everest National Park – Rongphu Monastery
- Everest National Park – Base Camp Monument (Chinese side)
- Thankot – Indradaha hike
Images courtesy of Intrepid Group
INT – CBST