Why book this trip?
Visiting Orissa is like taking a journeying back in time, from the ‘first people’ tribes, to the temples and monasteries of the Buddhist and Hindu eras, to the time of the Raj. As well as exploring incredibly spiritual temples in Bhubaneshwar and Puri we will meet the tribal people at the Adivasi Tribal Fair, and mix with them in colourful markets and remote villages.
- Adivasi Mela – Mix with members of the tribes of Orissa at the annual tribal fair where their cultures and traditions are celebrated
- Local markets – Wander around colourful remote markets where people from the Bonda and Dongria Kondh tribes come – their only regular interaction with the wider world
- Joranda – Witness the holy men of the Mahima Dharma religion as they perform their evening rites with fire and chanting
- DAY 1 – Join trip in Kolkata (Calcutta); explore the Kalighat area.
- DAY 2 – Explore Kolkata’s temples and historic buildings
- DAY 3 – Fly and drive to Dhenkanal, visit the Mahima Holy Men of Joranda
- DAY 4 – Drive to Bhubaneshwar visiting Udayagiri and Ratnagiri monasteries en route
- DAY 5 – Explore the ‘temple city’ of Bhubaneshwar and visit the Tribal Fair
- DAY 6 – Drive to Puri via Dhauli and the village of Pipli
- DAY 7 – Discover the Konark Sun Temple and Chandrabagha fishing village
- DAY 8 – Boat ride on Chilika Lake, drive to the tribal belt and Phulbani
- DAY 9 – Walk through tribal villages and drive to Rayagada
- DAY 10 – Visit the Chatikona market where the Dongria Kondh come to buy and sell their goods
- DAY 11 – Visit Onukudelli market and see the Bonda tribe and the nearby Duduma Waterfalls
- DAY 12 – Drive to Visakhapatnam and take the overnight train to Kolkata
- DAY 13 – Free afternoon in Kolkata
- DAY 14 – Trip ends in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Explore Tour Leader
12 nights comfortable hotel
1 nights simple overnight train
EXW – TTO
Images Courtesy of Explore Worldwide