I’ve been lucky enough to visit all seven continents, including several trips to Antarctica & the Arctic, South America and East & Southern Africa. Living in the UK for 30 years, I explored most of Europe; also the USA, India, Nepal, Japan & South East Asia.
Top of My Bucket List
Kamchatka in North East Russia: Incredible wildlife viewing among volcanoes in one of the remotest parts of the Pacific ‘Ring of Fire’.
Some Favourite Holiday Experiences
- Namibia: Quad biking through the enormous sand dunes at Swakopmund.
- Greenland: Kayaking among icebergs in perfectly calm waters – beautiful!
- Tanzania: Reaching the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro and breathlessly gazing down on the savannah below.
- Vietnam: Taking the famous scooter tour around the old capital of Hue, seeing the countryside as the locals do.
- Indian Himalaya: Trekking for 3 weeks across the incredible ‘moonscape’ of ‘Little Tibet’.
- Bolivia: A 4WD trip across the Andes from Chile to Bolivia across the Salt Flats of Uyuni.
- Hawaii: Cruising the Islands with my kids and then driving a red Mustang convertible up to the North Shore of Oahu.
- Brazil: perched on a boardwalk in the middle of the ‘Devil’s Throat’ with the Iguassu Falls in full flood all around. The Soccer World Cup was pretty fun too!
- New York: enjoying a cycle tour of lower Manhattan & Brooklyn, crossing both of the famous bridges and weaving through the busy streets of Chinatown and Soho.
- Caribbean : A week sailing around Barbados, Tobago, the Grenadines and St Lucia aboard ‘Sea Cloud’. This luxury 4 masted, square rigged, sailing yacht is definitely one of the world’s most unique travel experiences!
- Antarctica & South Georgia: extraordinary wildlife and wilderness – quite simply the ultimate travel experience.
- The Galapagos: Outstanding wildlife encounters on land and in the ocean. The snorkelling is superb.
Most dangerous place I’ve been
- Mozambique in 1994. I’m sure it’s lovely now.
Just Back From: self-driving ‘craft beer nirvana’ – the Oregon coast; followed by a jaunt around Vancouver Island and hiking up the Whistler-Blackcomb mountains.
Where to next? A circumnavigation of Iceland via an expedition cruise ship in May.