It all started with a school trip to Belgium at the age of 11, strange accents, funny food, cars on the wrong side of the road. I was hooked. 35 years on and I’m no better, in fact I’ve got steadily worse, visiting over 120 countries just to feed my addiction. From Europe it was on to America, then to south East Asia, then it got harder, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia, truly intoxicating.
I returned to Cuba after 12 years and found it to be as fascinating as ever, times are changing so go soon and experience this unique destination before they serve fries with your Mojito!
Top 5 Cities Yet To Be Visited
Top of My Bucket List
- Iran to see the teahouses on the bridge at Esfahan
- North Korea to see the mass games in the last bastion of pure communism
- To walk the Camino, the whole Camino!
Best Communist Tours
Prague nuclear bunker tour and the Skoda tour in Bratislava
Most Memorable Bribes
- Having to “buy” Ukrainian travel insurance to get through the border from Trans-Dniestr
- Paying the “tourist fee” to the guard to allow me to climb one of the towers at the Registan in Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Best Meals Abroad
Tapas in San Sebastian, Seafood platter in Genoa, All you can eat Steak at Siga la Vaca in Buenos Aires, Surf and turf at the Red Eye Grill in New York and the Mezze in Damascus
Places I won’t go again
- Bangui Central African Rebublic – really scary
- San Salvador in El Salvador – really really scary
Memorable Holiday Experiences
- Running the bulls in Pamplona, twice
- Watching a football match at the Maracana stadium in Rio
- The Oktoberfest in Munich
- Seeing Polar Bears in Svalbard