Antarctica has been inspiring explorers for centuries. And this expedition offers you the chance to discover why, with an unforgettable journey through the spectacular wilderness of the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula. You’ll encounter a world where nature creates the rules, her unpredictable temperament making each trip unique, exciting and personal.
Imagine cruising in a Zodiac through crackling sea ice like shattered glass, witnessing penguins building their nests, or navigating through a maze of icebergs, each one uniquely shaped by its journey through the sea. You’ll enjoy iconic Antarctic highlights, exhilarating adventures and be rewarded with memories to last a lifetime.
• Discover why this trip is perfect for first-time visitors to Antarctica
• Explore highlights of the Antarctic Peninsula
• Travel safely and comfortably aboard any of Quark Expeditions’ three small, ice-strengthened expedition vessels
• Learn about the environment and wildlife from on-board lecturers and specialists
• Experience abundant wildlife: penguins, seals, whales and more!
Day 1 — Arrive in Ushuaia, Argentina
Day 2 — Embarkation Day
Days 3 and 4 — Crossing the Drake Passage
Days 5 to 8 — South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula
Days 9 and 10 — Crossing the Drake Passage
Day 11 — Disembarkation in Ushuaia
Explore the ocean from a more intimate vantage point on a sit-on-top kayak. No experience is required to manoeuvre these very stable kayaks, allowing you to enjoy an unforgettable experience on the water, taking in breathtaking landscapes and wildlife. Whether it’s your first time in a kayak or you want greater flexibility to try other Adventure options, this shorter excursion is for you.
Sea Kayaking in Antarctica
Kayaking in Antarctica is probably one of the most intimate and inspiring ways you can explore this incredible region. Glide through the quiet waters and take in the beauty of Antarctica. Paddle through astounding icebergs, watch penguins, seals and possibly whales swim around your kayak. Kayaking in the Polar Regions is highly weather-dependent, however we guarantee at least one outing during your voyage. Your kayak guides will always attempts to take you out as many times as possible throughout your voyage.
Camping in Antarctica
Not very many people have the opportunity to say they’ve camped on the 7th Continent. This is one of the best ways to experience Antarctica in a more intimate manner, and take your expedition to the next level.
Pre- and Post-Trip Options are available. Please contact us for more details.
• Voyage in selected cabin category
• Rubber boots for use throughout the voyage
• Expedition Parka to keep
• Experience Expedition leader and team
• All shore landings and zodiac cruises as specified in the itinerary
• All meals while on board the ship
• Soft Drinks, Juice, Tea and Coffee while on board the ship
• Beer and Wine with dinner
• Lectures and presentations on board held by Expedition team and guest speakers as scheduled
• Photographic journal of the expedtion
• Luggage handling on board the ship
• Emergency Evacuation insurance up to a maximum of USD$500,000.00 per person
• All port charges/taxes
• Group arrival transfer in Ushuaia from airport to hotel on Day 1 (For preferred flights only)
• One night pre-voyage hotel accommodation in Ushuaia with breakfastas per the itinerary
• Group transfer from hotel to ship on embarkation day
• Group transfer to aiport or central location in Ushuaia on disembarkation
• NOTE: Hotel Accommodation – The number of guests per room is the same as cabin occupancy on the ship. Due to limited availability, travelers who reserve a suite on board are accommodated in standard rooms at the hotel. Triple rooms may not be available
• International and Domestic airfares unless specified
• Passport and Visa costs if applicable
• Meals ashore unless specified
• Travel insurance including cancellation insurance
• Mandatory waterproof pants – required for zodiac cruises and landings
• Any items of a personal nature including medical costs incurred on board
• Phone and Internet charges incurred on board
• Transfers other than those specified in inclusions
• Pre and post voyage accommodation unless stated in the itinerary
• Optional excursions (Eg kayaking where available)
• Gratuities or tips are always at your discretion. We recommend that you budget $10 to $15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board. Gratuities are collected anonymously at the end of each voyage. They are distributed among staff and crew. Payment can be made in cash or charged to your shipboard account.
Image courtesy of Wild Earth Travel, Quark and David Merron