Heritage Expeditions, pioneers in authentic small ship expedition cruising, invite you to join them on an unforgettable circumnavigation of Japan’s main island Honshu and exploration of its wilderness, arts, culture and rich history.
This voyage has been specially designed to explore and experience Japan’s seamless blend of ancient customs with ultramodern living, incredible wilderness, wildlife and renowned arts as we cruise from iconic cities to remote coastlines and islands.
Highlights include Kanazawa’s thriving centre of the arts, long known for its lacquerware, outstanding collectable pottery of the Kutani style, goldleaf workmanship, delicate hand painting of silk for kimonos and classical Noh theatre dramas performed since the 14th Century, and Naoshima Island – Japan’s Art Island. Visit two of Japan’s best contemporary art museums – the recently-opened Hachinhoe Art Museum and the Towada Art Center, celebrate Japan’s internationally-renowned magna culture at Ishinomaki, explore the living museum Ise- Shima National Park and Japan’s most sacred shrine complex Ise Jingū.
Our voyage will see us visiting the iconic Japanese island-dotted seascapes of Matsushima and Argo Bays and discovering the unique plants, wildlife and wilderness hiking trails on UNESCO registered Global Geopark Dogojima Island and Izu Oshima Island, Bandai-Asahi National Park and the impressive lakes, hot springs and volcanic wonderland of Shikotsu-Toya National Park.
Also on our itinerary is the iconic the five-storey Pagoda of Miyajima, sobering Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park with its eternal Flame of Peace, a day in South Korea’s Ulsan visiting the fascinating UNESCO World Heritage Site Gyeongju – the ‘museum without walls’ and Karatsu’s medieval heritage.
We hope you can join us for this rare opportunity to sail around Japan exploring its unspoiled nature, world renowned arts scene, culture and history.
• Explore Kanazawa’s center of the arts and Noh theater dramas
• Visit Naoshima Island, Japan’s Art Island
• Discover unique plants and wildlife on UNESCO Global Geopark Dogojima Island
• Experience the iconic five-storey Pagoda of Miyajima
• Learn about Japan’s sacred shrine complex Ise Jingū
• Sail around Japan’s unspoiled nature and rich history.
Day 1: Osaka
Day 2: Kobe
Day 3: Ise-Shima National Park
Day 4: Izu Oshima Island
Day 5: Ishinomaki
Day 6: Hachinohe & Lake Towada
Day 7: Muroran
Day 8: Akita
Day 9: Niigata
Day 10: Kanazawa
Day 11: Dogojima
Day 12: Ulsan, South Korea
Day 13: Karatsu, Japan
Day 14: Hiroshima & Miyajima Island
Day 15: Takamatsu
Day 16: Kobe
• Voyage on board in selected cabin category
• Pre/Post cruise transfers
• Experienced expedition leader and team
• All meals while on board
• House beer, wine and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
• All expedition shore excursions
• International and Domestic flights, both commercial and charter
• Travel insurance
• Passport and visa costs if applicable
• Additional beverages other than those noted
• Any items of a personal nature including laundry