In great news for New Zealand travellers, India has announced e-visas are now available, thereby doing away with the need to send your passport to the Indian High Commission in Wellington and hopefully also the long queues at immigration in India!
Details can be found here. This is what you need to know in summary.
- Applicants of the eligible countries/territories may apply online minimum 4 days in advance of the date of arrival with a window of 30 days. Example : If you are applying on 1st Sept then applicant can select arrival date from 5th Sept to 4th Oct.
- Recent front facing photograph with white background and photo page of Passport (NOTE specifications below!) containing personal details like name,date of birth, nationality , expiry date etc. to be uploaded by the applicant. The application is liable to be rejected if the uploaded document and photograph are not clear / as per specifications.Photo Specifications
• Format – JPEG
• Size – Minimum 10 KB , Maximum 1 MB
• The minimum dimensions are 350 pixels (width) x 350 pixels (height, ie square!
• Recent front facing photograph with white background to be uploaded by the applicant.
- Passport specifications: Must be in PDF format under 300kb (needs to be balack & white not colour to get the size down!), 1 PDF per person per application
- e-Tourist Visa (eTV) fee is US$ 60/- per passenger excluding interchange charge for credit/debit cards. The credit card must be in the name of the applicant! The fee must be paid at least 4 days before the expected date of travel filled by you otherwise application will not be processed.
- eTV fee once submitted is non-refundable as the fee is for processing of the application and is not dependent on either Grant or Rejection of VISA.
- Applicant should carry a copy of eTV along with him/her at the time of travel.
- Biometric details of the applicant will be mandatorily captured at Immigration on arrival in India.
- The validity of visa will be 30 days from the date of arrival in India.
- eTV is valid for entry through 16 designated Airports i.e. Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bengaluru, Chennai, Cochin,
Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum & Varanasi. However, the foreigner can take exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.
- This facility is in addition to the existing Visa services.
- e-Tourist Visa (eTV) is allowed for a maximum of two visits in a calendar year.
- e-Tourist Visa (eTV) once issued on arrival is Only single entry , non-extendable , non-convertible & not valid for visiting Protected/Restricted and Cantonment Areas.
- Applicants can track the status of their application online by clicking visa status.