Discover Japan’s enchanting mix of ancient and modern influences, exploring history, culture and cuisine. Travel on the bullet train through a land of contrasting flavours, taking in the bright lights of Tokyo as well as the freshest seafood at busy fish markets. Head to the mountains to learn about rural life in the Edo period, and enjoy a traditional Japanese dinner in a family-run minshuku.
Kyoto – Explore Nijo Castle and its extensive gardens followed by an izakaya dinner
Harajuku – Soak up the vibrant Tokyo fashion culture and sample sweet desserts from street food carts, including Japanese-style crepes
Osaka – Savour kushikatsu and takoyaki in Japan’s food capital
Itineraries on some departure dates may differ.
- DAY 1 – Join Tour in Tokyo, konnichiwa!
- DAY 2 – Tokyo seafood market, sushi lunch, Hamarikyu gardens, kitchen town and street food dessert
- DAY 3 – Tokyo – Meiji Jingu Shrine, Okonomiyaki lunch and trendy Harajuku district
- DAY 4 – Train to mountain town Takayama, afternoon Hida no Sato folk village museum
- DAY 5 – Bus to Kanazawa via Shirakawago UNESCO village
- DAY 6 – Visit stunning Kenrokuen Garden. Japanese traditional sweets (wagashi) making. Temaki sushi lunch. Free afternoon
- DAY 7 – Visit Omicho market. Train to Kyoto. Visit Nijo Castle and Gion geisha district. Izakaya dinner
- DAY 8 – AM – Visit Uji green tea growing capital. Try matcha sweets and ice cream. PM – Private tea ceremony in Kyoto
- DAY 9 – AM free in Kyoto. PM visit Fushimi Inari Shrine. Sake Museum and Tasting. Teppanyaki dinner
- DAY 10 – Train to Osaka. Cup noodle Museum. Osaka castle visit. Dinner in Shinsekai district
- DAY 11 – Visit Namba Yasaka Shrine and neon Dotonburi District. Views from Umeda Sky Tower. Free afternoon. Shabu-Shabu hot pot dinner
- DAY 12 – Trip ends in Osaka
EXW – XJF
Images courtesy of Explore Worldwide