Marvel at Machu Picchu and the Amazon in incredible Peru
Travel from the heady heights of the Andes to the exotic lowlands of the Amazon on this journey through the best of Peru. Get acquainted with the charm and grace of historic towns before hiking along ancient pathways to Machu Picchu and discovering the heart and soul of the Inca Empire. Then eyeball exotic plant and wildlife in the world’s most remarkable jungle. From vibrant cities to glorious natural wonders, this trip shows you all corners of Peru.
Why you’ll love this trip
- Lima’s grand colonial facades, Spanish houses and endless culture make it one of the prettiest cities to explore in Latin America.
- Explore Cusco, South America’s oldest continuously inhabited city. The city has ancient foundations, an interesting blend of Incan and colonial influences, and seemingly endless things to do and see.
- Adjust to the altitude with a pisco sour and some ceviche to get to know Peruvian cuisine.
- This trip gives both trekkers and non-trekkers the chance to visit Machu Picchu with Inca Trail, Quarry Trail and train options.
- Travel through the Sacred Valley – known for its steep and soaring scenery, its mystical significance for the Inca and the indigenous cultures that still reside here.
- Explore the greatest icon of ancient South America, Machu Picchu, on a guided tour.
- Experience the untouched, evergreen splendour of the Amazon Jungle. Explore rainforest trails with a local guide, looking out for monkeys, parrots, and medicinal plants, then fall asleep in a lodge lit by candles and kerosene lamps.
Day 1: Lima
Day 2: Cusco (3450m)
Day 3: Sacred Valley – Ollantaytambo (2792m)
Day 4: Inca Trail (3100m) or Quarry Trail (3700m) or Cusco
Day 5: Inca Trail (3650m) or Quarry Trail (3600m) or Cusco
Day 6: Inca Trail (2650m) or Aguas Calientes (2040m)
Day 7: Machu Picchu (2430) – Cusco
Day 8: Cusco
Day 9: Amazon Jungle
Day 10: Amazon Jungle
Day 11: Lima
Day 12: Lima
11 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 5 dinners
Canoe, Private minibus, Train, Plane
Route 1 Inca Trail: Camping with basic facilities (3 nights), Hotel (4 nights). Route 2 – Quarry Trail: Camping with basic facilities (2 nights), Hotel (5 nights). Route 3 – Train option: Hotel (7 nights), All Routes: Jungle Lodge (2 nights)
- Cusco – Leader-led orientation walk
- Cusco – Chocolate Museum Visit & Hot Chocolate
- Sacred Valley – Community visit & lunch
- Cusco – 3 Night/4 Day Inca Trail (or 2 Night/3 Day Inca Quarry Trail)
- Machu Picchu – Guided tour
Images Courtesy of Intrepid Group
INT – GGSEC